The Civil Supplies Department is under administrative control of Consumer Affairs, Food & Civil Supplies Department. The Civil Supplies Department was originally only a regulatory Department, subsequently, its activities were diversified to include procurement of food grains under Minimum Support Price (MSP) operations, Rice distribution under subsidized rice scheme, Consumer Affairs, Price monitoring, Distribution of LPG connections to BPL women (Deepam Scheme) etc.
The Civil Supplies Department is under administrative control of Consumer Affairs, Food & Civil Supplies Department.
All the matters relating to Food and Civil Supplies Civil Supplies Department in the erstwhile Hyderabad State prior from 01-03-1952 were dealt by a Corporation known as “Hyderabad Commercial Corporation”, a limited Company, registered under the Companies Act, which was later converted into a Co-operative Society and started functioning under the name of Hyderabad Co-operative Commercial Corporation from 01-10-1946.
The Andhra wing comprised only two sections in Board of Revenue (Land Revenue & Settlement) branch, while the Office of Director of Civil Supplies in the erstwhile Hyderabad State continued to function as a separate entity till 30-06-1958. The Civil Supplies Department started functioning as composite unit after 1958. There were two wings one for Andhra and other for Telangana for attending to the work connected with Civil Supplies matters. The entire civil Supplies subject was being dealt with separately by the Commissioner of Civil Supplies as a Second Member in the Board. In G.ORt.No.2688, Genl.Admn (Spl.A) Dept., dt. 22.07.1977 orders have issued bifurcating the post of Commissioner of Excise and Civil Supplies as Commissioner of Civil Supplies and Commissioner of Excise and Commissioner of Civil Supplies has been functioning independently as the Head of the Department and Ex. Officio Secretary to Govt., Food and Agriculture (CS) Department (Presently the Consumer Affairs, Food and Civil Supplies Department).
Brief functions of the Civil Supplies Department are
- Procurement of Paddy, Coarse grains like maize, jowar, bajra, pulses through the State Agencies under MSP Operations.
- Procurement of rice under mill levy under Decentralized procurement by APSCSC Ltd and for central pool to FCI
- Issue of ration cards to the eligible families
- Implementation e-pds project, monitoring of Public Distribution of Essential Commodities through FP Shops
- Implementation of Petroleum Products and other Control Orders under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955
- Implementation of Consumer Protection Act through State Commission and District Consumer Fora and other Consumer Welfare Schemes
- Monitoring of prices of Essential Commodities and Market Intervention Operations to contain the open market prices, if need arises.
- Grounding of LPG connections for BPL families (Deepam Scheme)
- Monitoring the enrolment of citizens under Aadhaar.